My client is changing the way men look after their health and wellness. They're building a platform that gives direct access to medical professionals, pharmaceutical products and the knowledge to make informed choices about your health. Our mission is to help men across the world live healthier, happier lives.
*About the role:*
They are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join their motivated and growing team. They are a fast-moving, agile team made up of experienced engineers that take pride in their work.
Here are the main pieces of technology and tools that we are currently using:
* Ruby, Rails, RSpec, PostgreSQL, Redis and Memcached for our web API services.
* Node.js, Vue.js with Vuex and Nuxt.js, ES6, SCSS, Jest (and a bit of Cypress) and Webpack for our website.
* Python, Django and PostgreSQL for our Medical Platform.
* Git, GitHub, CircleCI for our code and continuous integration/deployment Heroku and Cloudflare for our infrastructure.
* Sentry, New Relic and Skylight for monitoring.
* Jira for keeping us on track.
* You will be working in one of our e-commerce or medical teams, designing, implementing, maintaining, scaling and deploying the core of our business.
* Be instrumental in building a health platform that helps men take better care of themselves.
* Be hands-on with coding, best practices, appropriate tools and technologies. We are currently using Ruby in the web API services and Python in our Medical Platform, however, we are flexible with considering alternatives wherever these are better for the business.
* Design domain models and business flows to implement new product features or 3rd party integrations and automation.
* Refactor code and automate end-to-end testing suites.
* Mentor, help and guide less experienced colleagues to help them up their game and become better engineers.
* Lead technical projects by working closely with our designers, product managers and marketers.
* Work with other parts of the business in clarifying requirements at the onset of projects and suggesting different and relevant technical approaches.
* Have strong backend engineering experience. Ruby and Rails or Python and Django would be great, however, we are not fussy as long as you are able to adapt.
* Have strong experience in SQL, relational and non-relational databases. We use PostgreSQL and Redis but even if you are coming from different flavours you should be fine as long as you have a strong background.
* Have strong experience in designing and developing web APIs.
* Have strong experience in automated software testing.
* Care deeply about systems health and maintainability. Good engineering habits and best practices are very important to us.
* Might have experience in infrastructure automation and DevOps.
* Know how to make trade-offs, when to incur technical debt and how to repay it.
* Use your initiative and can work independently. You feel comfortable designing software systems and solutions and mentoring others.
* Can break down an ambitious vision into smaller components, prioritise the work and manage the team towards success.
* Have solid communication skills. You are able to work in cross-functional teams and collaborate effectively with remote team members.
* Take pride in your work and are always looking to improve, not settling for average.
* Want to work for a brand with a purpose.
* Have a bias for action and are results-focused.-
* Equity ownership
* WFH allowance
* Health and wellbeing discounts