Research Associate - IVP
We offer an exciting opportunity for a Research Associate to join our fast-growing team within our In Vivo Pharmacology unit on a full-time, permanent basis.
Resolution Therapeutics (RTx) is a biotechnology company developing macrophage cell therapies to treat inflammatory organ disease. The company's technology platform is based on over a decade's work by Prof. Stuart Forbes and Prof. John Campbell, and provides RTx with a leading position in macrophage biology and regenerative medicine.
In 2020, following a productive collaboration between Edinburgh's Centre for Regenerative Medicine, the Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service, and Syncona, RTx was launched with a £26.6m series A financing.
Today, RTx is a multidisciplinary team of experience scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs based in Edinburgh and London, working at the forefront of cell therapy and liver disease, supported by Syncona, Europe's leading life science investor.
In this role, you will conduct in vivo experiments to understand the immunogenicity and persistence of engineered macrophage-based cellular products in relevant rodent-based models, with a view to understand the safety and efficacy of these products as may be relevant to humans. You will receive training on an existing project upon joining the Company, and transition to a different project that is currently under development.
- Supporting in vivo studies to test the safety and efficacy of novel enhanced macrophage cell therapy products
- Supporting foundational pre-clinical studies in the preliminary period of an outsourced immunogenicity project with an external partner
- Performing a suite of standard laboratory-based assays to quantify and phenotype cell populations in tissues and biofluids (e.g. via flow cytometry, qPCR)
- Preparing tissue-based histological sections (e.g. using a rotary microtome) and stains to facilitate the detection of targets using immunodetection assays
- Establish a logistical framework for the delivery of cells and technology to an external Contract Research Organisation
- Accurate recording of data in a timely fashion using online electronic lab notebook systems
- Ordering reagents, laboratory instruments, and other materials as appropriate whilst working to a budget
- Interfacing with the RTx research units, including Cell Engineering, Macrophage Biology, Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell, and Translation units to streamline in vivo research activities
- Independent writing of research plans, research reports, patents, and publications
- Communication of data at regular Unit and Company research and strategy meetings
You will report directly to the Director of In Vivo Pharmacology (IVP), and will be working as part of team with other Research Scientists and Research Associates within IVP and a Band 5 Animal Technician.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications, skills, and experience:
- A Bachelor degree with relevant experience in a biological science (ideally pharmacology or immunology)
- An active Home Office Personal Licence (PIL) or a PIL licence holder that has recently expired (i.e. within past 5 years)
- Experience with in vivo research
- Experience of procedures pertaining to the administration of substances (e.g. injections via intraperitoneal, subcutaneous, or intravenous routes)
- 3+ years post-degree relevant laboratory experience
- Ability to maintain accurate and up-to-date records
- Experience in standard laboratory techniques e.g., flow cytometry, qPCR, ELISA, histology, immunohistochemistry/immunofluorescence, microscopy
Preferable skills/experience include:
- Experience of online ordering systems (i.e., item procurement) whilst working to a budget
- Experience in sterile handling of cells (e.g,. in a class II biological safety cabinet)
- Experience of flow cytometry
- Familiarity of use of anaesthetics in pre-clinical species
- Experience in a commercial laboratory environment
- A working knowledge of immunogenicity
Following your application, an initial call will be scheduled by the Recruitment Partner before being shortlisted. If successful, you will be invited to start the interview process which consists of 3 stages:
- Initial meeting with the Hiring Manager and another member of the RTx team
- Presentation & panel interview
- Conversation with the CEO
Please be aware that due to the volume of applications, feedback will not be provided at the application stage.
Our competitive package includes pension, private health insurance and life assurance, as well as an opportunity to participate in the Company's incentive shares scheme.
Please direct any questions and CVs in the first instance to our Recruitment Partner, Poppy Boronat ().